Thursday, May 23, 2013

A morning journey to the bus-stop


So… there I was… waiting at the bus stop this morning, with my eight year old, and she’s humming the chorus to Journey “Don’t stop believing”. (I was wondering why it was stuck in my mind right now). We stood there, otherwise quiet, while the sun slowly cracked over the horizon and watched the morning birds’ swoop and scoop up worms. Still sleepy eyed and tired we shivered a little, smiled at the odd car that passed by, and peered down the road to see the familiar site of the bright yellow school bus come bending around the corner. Still humming along, I joined her quietly matching her note for note. Quietly at first and then a little louder during the parts we both knew best.



I think the crescendo of our humming scared the birds off. We were shaking out hips and kicking our feet to the beat the best we could muster at 7am. As our energy continued to build with the slow accent of the sun, we found ourselves shaking and grooving and singing out loud. We were bellowing out the chorus (she’s got quite a voice for a munchkin) and the odd passer by would smile and shake their heads. We’re not relatively well known in the “newish” neighborhood we have recently moved into. But we are certainly making a name for our selves this morning!

In no time we are both jumping and singing, spinning in circles, and it looks like a first attempt at a zero-gravity square-dance! But… we are having fun. A silver car pulls up to the corner across from us (perpendicular to the street we are standing on) and waits for the full stop. He’s waiting a long time and I’m feeling exposed in my new found dancing shoes!! Low and behold the window rolls down and as the car rounds the corner, off to work no doubt, the window rolls down and both driver and passenger holler out the first half of the chorus before they are down the road (No doubt singing the rest).



My little one and I looked and each other, still bouncing off the sidewalk, half singing half laughing. She had a sparkle in her eye from the sun shine now creeping between the tree tops that I love to see. I fell so tall right then and didn't feel like I had cancer at all. Nothing will bring me back to earth today. This was a god bus stop morning.



Tomorrow is Saturday. For the first time in a long time… I wish it was a bus stop day. But Monday is only two days away. (The good in the Bad)

And yes… the bus did come. The driver found us leaned back on our heels, still laughing and shaking our heads. With wet cheeks, out of breath, and still giggle she clambered up the three tall black rubbery steps and plopped into her seat. She blew me a kiss through the tinted window and everything, for that split second, was perfect. And while the bus driver and the kids on the bus missed the gong show today, I have no doubt they will hear about it on the way to school. I’m certain this will become part of our morning routine while waiting for the bus. Now, to make up a morning playlist of bus stop songs. It’s too early in our efforts but perhaps Monday we can get two or more cars to stop and join us in a catchy morning musical.

So there is my first “real” entry into my blog of life. I will fill more of the “about me” page in to help localize your thoughts on why I write and what I write about!

How are you starting your day today? 

Check out Lots more at www.rotationelevation.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment