Thursday, May 23, 2013


Writing Down a Eureka Moment…

Today I awoke, bobbed out of bed, and peered through the curtain crack. With one eye open I looked up the street, swiveled my head, and down the street. I took in the morning view of the quiet outside and thought… how can I make the most out of when I see in front of me today? The sun already up and pigeons scratching on the roof above me. Then it dawned on me, like one of those eureka moments that come only at times like this.

I’m hungry.

Having just started to promote the whole Rippln thing only one week ago, it sits there in the back of my mind, all the time. We ate breakfast, poured out coffees, and went to sit out the front porch and soak up some much needed vitamin D and fresh air. The munchkin wanted her bicycle out for the first time this spring and I was happy to have an excuse to pick up a ratchet, some oil, and a rag. Even if it was only to tighten one squeaky brake leaver, put the tire bead back onto the rim, and raise the seat a half inch. Oh… I felt like I was overhauling some multiple turbine mechanical beast from a southern American tractor pull. Tools make me feel this way. But, little did I know I could feel powerful holding a single jumbo Crayola sidewalk chalk.

Here’s how that played out…

While the wobbly stunts woman was riding her bike she had already managed to little the driveway with her collection of what I call her “outside sideshow trunk of tools”. A kid who likes to blow soap bubbles doesn't have to do it while mastering the one handed cartwheel. But mine does. Also, most eight year olds don’t feel the need to hold 4 jumbo Crayola sidewalk chalks in-between their toes (2 on each foot) and run up and down the driveway leaving scary looking spiral graph type artwork. But mine does. And what a brilliant thing to have witnessed today.

I was sipping my morning coffee and watching a video on the iPad of ways to promote websites online. All the while watching a young Adele Astaire/Picasso, I saw passer-byers take notice of the interpretive dance and resulting scribbles. I got the notion that some people where trying to read the rainbow streaks and make words of them. I thought oh great, in her efforts to promote her sideshow grammar dance routine she’s gone and mistakenly written a foul word by shear accident. I scoured over the freeway of lines using to make sense of it. I spent a lot of time trying to find the meaning behind sidewalk chalk on the driveway.

Eureka

Sidewalk chalk… on the driveway… and every person walking by looking right at it. Hmmmm…

I bolted from my chair, grabbed some twine, a nail, a car battery, and a handful of jumbo sidewalk chalk. I began to quarden off the last 1/3 of the driveway, closest to the sidewalk, and claimed the space as my own. Untouchable to all but me. I used the car battery as a weight, the nail taped to the battery as a pivot point, and 6 feet of twine (tied to a stick of chalk). I put the chalk to the driveway and paced out a perfect circle. Then another smaller circle inside the first one.

(O)

Success!

I could feel the stares from people both driving and walking by. And I was giggling like a madman the whole time. My wife is looking on, embarrassed to be on the outside of the hose with me. The munchkin more instructional than inquisitive. She knows chalk! When the chalk dust settled, the driveway was left adorned by a new colorful promotional logo for…

www.rotationelevation.com

Now, this part is when I realized my eureka moment had been proven effective. Before I was even finished the outline of the letters, I had a passer-byer inquire about our homes new driveway logo and mention they were on their way back home to check it out. Simply because it was such a unique and obscure idea. A mid-morning doodle later and the final product is below.

Creative inspiring designs by Steve. A great way to spend the morning with the family, outside, being proactive. And all the while maybe reaching a personal goal just a little bit sooner.

We’ll see…


No comments:

Post a Comment